Let’s face it, we have three more long months of cold weather. Yes, it’s cold out but there is plenty to celebrate this winter! To start with, the Patriot’s could be in the Superbowl (fingers crossed), secondly, the Winter Olympics start in February and lastly, cold weather equals more snuggle time with your loved ones. Yup… our (wine) glass is definitely half-full and we hope yours is too!
To help you fill that cold winter glass we’re sharing some great winter wines that are not only affordable, they’re delicious. Enjoy!
- Gabbiano Chianti Classico Riserva: A limpid, full ruby red color. The nose is fine, wide, with excellent fruity notes on a sweet and spicy background. A vigorous body with excellent tannins well in balance with the freshness given by the acidulous nerve. Fine, elegant and complex.
- Pairing perfect with roasted red meats rich in spices, game with rich sauces; interesting with aged cheese.
- Bogle Phantom: Phantom, Bogle’s mysterious apparition of ripe berry and relentless spice, returns to haunt wine lovers. Full of concentration and intensity, this wine will tease, tantalize and linger long after the last sip is gone. Wild berries and black pepper are framed by the influence of oak aging with baking spices and a hint of toasty vanilla.
- Rombauer Zinfandel: This classic California Zinfandel is dark purple-ruby, with a bright crimson hue. On the nose, concentrated aromas of blackberry and raspberry meld with clove and spice. Lush flavors of blackberry, cherry, licorice and vanilla flood the palate, followed by touches of pepper in the background. Plush and round tannins and great length make for a fresh and enticing finish.
- The Prisoner: Features enticing aromas of Bing cherry, dark chocolate, clove, and roasted fig. Persistent flavors of ripe raspberry, boysenberry, pomegranate, and vanilla linger harmoniously, for a smooth and luscious finish.
LAB Red Wine: Very aromatic with notes of ripe black and red fruits. In the palate, juicy plums and dark berry fruit flavour with plenty of fresh yet fine tannins that take over at the finish, along with flavours of spice and liquorice.
- Dry Creek Vineyard, Olde Vine Zinfandel: During harvest, their Old Vine Zinfandel lots always show a distinct aroma and flavor profile. Once bottled, the perfumed nuances and dried herbal components shine through. At first swirl, bay leaf and white pepper leap from the glass balanced by deep layers of plum and cocoa. The complexity of our Old Vine Zinfandel lies in the spicy notes that are unique to these historic properties. Refined and balanced, the wine integrates seamlessly on the palate offering a broad array of currants, black cherry, raspberry and toasty oak notes.
- Blend: 78% Zinfandel, 19% Petite Sirah, 3% Carignane
- Broquel Malbec: Intense purple red color with ruby hues. Aromas of fresh red and black fruits, floral notes, and earthy minerals, with an elegant touch of smoke. Rich and spicy on the palate providing a long and pleasant finish.
- Ideal to serve with grilled red meats, stews, pasta with mushroom sauce and cheeses.
- Decoy Merlot: This lovely expression of Sonoma County Merlot offers lush layers of black cherry, cassis, and cranberry, along with notes of cocoa and leather. On the palate, refined tannins underscore the wine’s velvety mouthfeel, while excellent acidity adds poise and length to the vibrant red berry flavors.
- Blend: 92% Merlot, 4% Cabernet Franc, 2% Cabernet Sauvignon, 2% Petite Sirah
- Crios Malbec: Has a beautiful reddish/purple color as most good Malbecs do. The aromas are a mix of freshly crushed black cherries and toasty/smoky oak—just enough to frame the exuberant fruit. On the palate, the flavors of cherries and spice are obvious, and the jammy fruit quality just keeps coming on strong, with hints of spice and sandalwood lurking in the background.
~ Your friends at Mystic Wine Shoppe